Pages

I want to begin this blog by giving glory to our Creator...His design is perfect. This is a fiddle head fern bud ready to unfold...they were all over on both sides of a trail we hiked during one of our weekly nature walks."All of the parts of the frond of a fern bud are tightly folded spirally within the bud and every fold of every leaflet is also folded in a spiral. But the first glance at one of these little wooly spirals gives us but small conception of its marvelous enfolding," (Handbook of Nature Study, p. 698)."...so intricate is the action of their multitudinous spirals, that to watch them unfolding impresses one as would a miracle," (HNS, p. 699).
Can't you just read this and feel that it describes all life?! It is a privilege for me to know Reece's Rainbow ministry, the precious "miracles" that give this ministry purpose, and to share with you my family's "unfolding" as we walk by faith. Thank you for sharing our walk...may you be richly blessed.

23 November 2009

From Khmelnitsky back to Kiev

From the moment I woke up on Saturday to prepare for the ride back to Kiev I tried to soak in as much as I could so I could remember and reflect back on the last 26 days in the city where my daughter was born. A lovely lady by the name of Mariana came by the apartment to collect the keys and money. When she arrived and began talking to Maria, although Maria could not hear, I could see Maria looking at Mariana’s lips and immediately running to her, holding her hand, and looking up at her. I’m sure for Maria it was relief to her as she “read” the lips of her native language, vs looking at me in confusion for the last four days. I felt for Maria, and how frustrated she must be at times with everything that is so unfamiliar. As exciting as it is to have a mama and papa, it must also be scary to leave the security of the nya nya’s and the other children that she’s been living with the last year and a half. Mariana works with Bernislava, the woman who owns the apartment, at a large hotel in Khmelnitsky…Mariana is a manager, and I believe Bernislava is the General Manager.

On our way to pick up the passport we drove by a “plaza” where I saw a bride - how beautiful…and then I saw another bride a few feet down from the first one, and I said to Nicholas, oh wow, there are TWO brides! He said, oh there are many more. I really could not believe it… with all the weddings I planned in NYC trust me when I say no bride wants to be seen near another. So while we waited for the passport to be personally delivered, Nicholas encouraged me to walk down the plaza and in front of the “civil registration” building to watch the brides. By the time I got down there, there were five, all standing within a few feet of each other, with their grooms, and families. Then I hear shouting and clapping and I look at the door to the building where a groom is carrying his bride out the door and celebrating their marriage….then 5 minutes later more shouting and clapping and another couple coming out… every 5 minutes was a new couple…it was really something to see. The photographers, and there were many, were running all over, people were carrying flowers, and someone was handing out something (see photo below) which looked like bread, but I could not make it out. Then, one by one the cars for the brides started lining up for pick up…each one decorated uniquely with tulle and flowers. It was quite a procession. And I even was able to get some photos of fashion and the famous “boots” of Ukraine ladies! I really do want to get a pair but I keep thinking where and when would I ever wear them…certainly not on one of our home
school nature walks! Although these boots can be seen on every mom at the playground! I’m sure that would give the moms in my subdivision something to talk about.  Nicholas told me that on this particular Saturday it was St. Michael’s Day here in Ukraine and it is considered good luck to be married on one of the days that a Saint is honored, which is why there were so many weddings. From this civil registration building, which I would equate to our town hall, the bride and groom go to their church for the formal wedding vows, then to their celebration banquet. I loved all the brides’ dresses - they were big and frilly and flowy, and I especially liked the little white fur jackets some of them were wearing.



Looking at all these brides caused me to reflect on many things… first I thought about the Covenant God made with His people, and how He is fair and just, and how He continually fulfilled His promise despite the many shortcomings of many in the lineage of Abraham. I then thought about my own adoption, meaning God adopting me in to His family…how He is mighty to save and rejoices over me with singing and quiets me with His love. Was he as excited in adopting me as I am in adopting Maria. He continues to love me and be gentle with me despite my own shortcomings and failures. He continues to grow me in His love and by His grace has allowed me to experience an adoption of my own. I certainly do not deserve this beautiful child. And I want so much to get it right this time, from the start. So I seek His face each morning, each evening, and every moment in between.

The ride to Kiev was long with a couple of stops to stretch and refresh. The gas stations on these very remote roads are actually beautiful…clean, neat, and even have a counter with stools where you can have a snack, and an attendant to clean up after you. Town after town one town looked like the next. Apple trees are by far the most popular tree here and everybody is selling apples by the side of the road…delicate little elderly ladies sitting on a wooden stool with a bucket next to them filled with apples for sale… one after the other. I wondered who is buying them when there are so many you could simply pick your own. In between two towns as Nicholas was able to pick up some speed on one of the back roads, he comes to almost a full stop…there was yet a wedding procession of four cars in front of us… going may 10mph…so as Nicholas tries to pass them, the card behind the bride darts out in the lane of oncoming traffic and rides alongside the bride’s car, and the guy is hanging out of the window holding a video camera with a huge microphone…I thought oh dear this guy is going to get himself killed… I just had to laugh…there was no way to get around them for almost a mile.

We finally made it to Kiev at dark, around 5pm. Nicholas shared some more of the history of the city which I was all too happy to hear. We got to the apartment which from the outside I thought oh dear… and when we got inside it was definitely an oh my… the fridge was a mess and not working…so he said he’d call it in and someone would take care of it. After he told me where the market was he left and I took Maria to the bathroom. We then found out that the toilet did not work either… so after a few calls Yulia told me the landlady was coming to bring me to another apt… she did. To make a long story short and not go in to detail, by 3pm the next day I was transferred to yet another apartment on the other side of town.. we moved 3 times in less than 24 hours. It was somewhat overwhelming but for the most part I held it together for Maria’s sake. I could tell she was a bit out of sorts. Now I am on the 15th floor of a high rise apartment building that is up a hill and overlooks the city…beautiful at night, and the sound of the traffic below is very soothing.

4 comments:

  1. A great apartment for two great people. Glad you are comfy-cozy and rooted for a couple of days. Now, get your butts home! We love you, Love the 4Ds'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele, Yes, many of us are looking forward to seeing you home, but not nearly as much as the 4Ds are!!!

    Enjoyed the post you wrote. Lots of food for thought and prayer. Hang in there, friend. Keeping looking UP! The view from our knees is the best, I've heard! :))

    And, Maria - what a precious little life. With the ever changing scenery, may her heart know peace in her Creator's great love and care for her, and may that be tangibly felt in the arms of her new loving family.

    З любов'ю і молитвами,
    Z lyubov'yu i molytvamy,
    pw - xoxo

    Psalm 121 (A song of ascents.)
    1 I lift up my eyes to the hills—
    where does my help come from?
    2 My help comes from the LORD,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
    3 He will not let your foot slip—
    he who watches over you will not slumber;
    4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.
    5 The LORD watches over you—
    the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
    6 the sun will not harm you by day,
    nor the moon by night.
    7 The LORD will keep you from all harm—
    he will watch over your life;
    8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele,
    Little Maria will face many changes & along with those changes come some challenges but with you & Dominic loving & guiding her she will be just fine. As you have blessed she has been blessed.
    Have a safe trip home.
    XOXO, Marie

    ReplyDelete