Pages

I want to begin this blog by giving glory to our Creator...His design is perfect. This is a fiddle head fern bud ready to unfold...they were all over on both sides of a trail we hiked during one of our weekly nature walks."All of the parts of the frond of a fern bud are tightly folded spirally within the bud and every fold of every leaflet is also folded in a spiral. But the first glance at one of these little wooly spirals gives us but small conception of its marvelous enfolding," (Handbook of Nature Study, p. 698)."...so intricate is the action of their multitudinous spirals, that to watch them unfolding impresses one as would a miracle," (HNS, p. 699).
Can't you just read this and feel that it describes all life?! It is a privilege for me to know Reece's Rainbow ministry, the precious "miracles" that give this ministry purpose, and to share with you my family's "unfolding" as we walk by faith. Thank you for sharing our walk...may you be richly blessed.

12 July 2009

Reece's Rainbow


Reece's Rainbow has become a very important part of our lives. Yet, when someone had first told me about this group, it was all very strange to me. So I've been thinking that there are some reading our blog who really don't know what Reece's Rainbow is, and I would like to dedicate this post to telling you just that.

At first I thought Reece's Rainbow was just another adoption agency with very expensive fees. When I went on their website www.reecesrainbow.org it was very overwhelming - lots of information. I had to read it many times before I understood what they were all about and how they facilitated the adoption process. Reece's Rainbow is NOT an adoption agency, it is a ministry led by our Creator who has brought together a very special group of people that volunteer their time to help orphans around the world find families who will love them. And these orphans are extra special because almost all of them have Downs syndrome. Downs syndrome was something I knew nothing about, except that it had to do with a genetic defect. Through Reece's Rainbow I have come to know intimately more about Downs syndrome, and my eyes have been opened in a completely fresh way to just how special these children are! WE should feel blessed to have THEM in our lives!

Reece's Rainbow has a yahoo group made up of families who are adopting, who are thinking about adopting, who want to adopt but it's not the right time, and who have already adopted and are back home. We are intimately involved in each other's lives and adoptions as we share joys and sorrows throughout our journies. We support each other, pray for each other, laugh with each other and cry with each other.

Reece's Rainbow does not have any adoption fees. They do ask for a donation called a Love Offering (which helps keep Reece's Rainbow operational) but it is completely voluntary. They also offer a service called Family Sponsorship - it allows anyone to make a donation to help families who are adopting. Each family has a "page" on the Reece's Rainbow website explaining their story and how they came to adopt. These families are very special. If you have a moment please read some of their stories. And if you feel led or connect with one of the families, make a donation - ANY amount helps!


Andrea Roberts is the Executive Director of Reece's Rainbow, and she is most adopting families' first contact. She is wonderful. If you have another moment :), please read a little more about her and what Reece's Rainbow is all about at http://www.reecesrainbow.org/aboutus.htm.

The photograph posted with this picture was taken when Dominic and I were on vacation on the island of Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands. It was our favorite vacation and I've always wanted to return when we had children. I remember taking the picture of the rainbow...little did I know then how significant that rainbow would become to us...and truly what it meant - God's promise. I pray a rainbow will shine for you as it does for us.

5 comments:

  1. This morning, Andrea sent me a copy of my very first email to her- written on December 19th, 2008. I am forever changed. At this moment I can look forward to December 19, 2009 and see how Reece's Rainbow will have affected my life one year later. One year later, Rich and I have a new daughter. One year later, we are able to see other RR kids adopted by people we KNOW. One year later, Rich is helping with th RR website. One year later I am a stateside facilitator. One year later, I stand in awe of a God who heard my cry for a PERSONAL ministry that our entire family can be involved in and how He worked it all out to His glory!!! Oh, He IS good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited that Lydia and I were there on that Tuesday night to enjoy seeing the way that God works ALL things together for His purpose! I cant wait to see years down the road how His story for all of us enfolds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Reece's Rainbow for many reasons and now I have another reason ... Morgan!

    I can't wait to meet her!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a wonderful post. I so feel the exact way and that I am so blessed to be a part of this "family". I wish RR only the best and can't thank them enough for what they have brought (and are bringing) into our lives!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog through the RR digest. The group has gotten so big that I have failed to keep up with so many of the blogs. Just wanted to let you know your family is beautiful and I enjoyed reading through your blog a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete