Pages

I want to begin this blog by giving glory to our Creator...His design is perfect. This is a fiddle head fern bud ready to unfold...they were all over on both sides of a trail we hiked during one of our weekly nature walks."All of the parts of the frond of a fern bud are tightly folded spirally within the bud and every fold of every leaflet is also folded in a spiral. But the first glance at one of these little wooly spirals gives us but small conception of its marvelous enfolding," (Handbook of Nature Study, p. 698)."...so intricate is the action of their multitudinous spirals, that to watch them unfolding impresses one as would a miracle," (HNS, p. 699).
Can't you just read this and feel that it describes all life?! It is a privilege for me to know Reece's Rainbow ministry, the precious "miracles" that give this ministry purpose, and to share with you my family's "unfolding" as we walk by faith. Thank you for sharing our walk...may you be richly blessed.

22 August 2009

Faith, Part I: Mr. Holland's Opus


Last week I had a hard day while planning our literature read-alouds for homeschooling - I realized how would I sign all the literature, Shakespeare and Poetry, to Morgan while I'm still learning the basics of ASL (American Sign Language)???...and what about the music study we will do... that lasted about 24 hours, and then the overwhelming feeling left. My first priority is to love her and help her feel safe...the literature will wait. Then a friend reminded me of the movie Mr. Holland's Opus. Richard Dreyfuss plays a high school music teacher, while his real passion is to compose and write an Opus; in the midst of this he and his wife have a son who is born Deaf. We watched the movie last night (just me and Dom) and tonite again with the kids. I had seen it years and years ago, but of course watched it with different eyes this time, and it really touched me - especially in showing how people who are Deaf can "listen" to music. It just confirmed to me the title of this blog "Walk by Faith, not by sight" 2 Corinthians 5:7. Faith...if you believe, ALL things are possible. Mr. Holland's symphony, or Opus, was in fact not his musical score, but being played out in all the lives of the people he touched while teaching music. How much more will we beomce a symphony when we bring Morgan home.

No comments:

Post a Comment