BIG day yesterday!!! Maria got her hearing aid! After all the programming, and fitting and trimming to get it just right, she went "live" and I cried...I could not speak a word, I just hugged her and cried...so that's the first thing she heard from mommy...tears of joy! The look on her face the first few seconds was like, wow, what's happening, then it was business as usual. There are so many "things" that go along with the hearing aid, as far as maintenance and upkeep...I had no idea. So, Maria hears us we know, but exactly how much and how clear she is hearing is yet to be determined. She has a follow up in 6 weeks, and we will be having a speech evaluation with the Castle group to determine where she is at. Her speech will be a good indicator of how she is progressing and exactly what she is hearing, as she begins to repeat sounds and words back to us. There will also be certain challenges since she has a unilateral hearing loss...meaning she only has hearing in one ear. Dom video taped most of the appointment. The team at Speech and Audiology at UNC is fantastic, and they were all just so excited for Maria...just as excited as her mommy and daddy! I've included some photos...Maria with her little pink hearing aid, the team at UNC, as well as the first photos of me and dom, together, with Maria, thanks to my mom for taking the photos!
Can't you just read this and feel that it describes all life?! It is a privilege for me to know Reece's Rainbow ministry, the precious "miracles" that give this ministry purpose, and to share with you my family's "unfolding" as we walk by faith. Thank you for sharing our walk...may you be richly blessed.
30 January 2010
Wired for Sound!
BIG day yesterday!!! Maria got her hearing aid! After all the programming, and fitting and trimming to get it just right, she went "live" and I cried...I could not speak a word, I just hugged her and cried...so that's the first thing she heard from mommy...tears of joy! The look on her face the first few seconds was like, wow, what's happening, then it was business as usual. There are so many "things" that go along with the hearing aid, as far as maintenance and upkeep...I had no idea. So, Maria hears us we know, but exactly how much and how clear she is hearing is yet to be determined. She has a follow up in 6 weeks, and we will be having a speech evaluation with the Castle group to determine where she is at. Her speech will be a good indicator of how she is progressing and exactly what she is hearing, as she begins to repeat sounds and words back to us. There will also be certain challenges since she has a unilateral hearing loss...meaning she only has hearing in one ear. Dom video taped most of the appointment. The team at Speech and Audiology at UNC is fantastic, and they were all just so excited for Maria...just as excited as her mommy and daddy! I've included some photos...Maria with her little pink hearing aid, the team at UNC, as well as the first photos of me and dom, together, with Maria, thanks to my mom for taking the photos!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












Yay!!! I am so excited for you all and most especially for Maria!
ReplyDeleteWe were at UNC all day yesterday for clinic...wish I'd known you were there so I could have popped in to visit! :)
Kristin
WONDERUL!!!!! I really need to link to your blog so I remember to visit it!!! I have been praying for you!!!!
ReplyDeleteCurriculums- We LOVE both Beautiful Feet Early American History AND Story of the World for history. Both require the parent reading out loud then lots of coloring pages. Beautiful Feet has a LOT of character building, but Story of the World has a ton of fun activities. Cooking, painting, map work, etc. We are going to alternate every year, American history vs. world history.
For science we are doing Apologia's Days of Creation. You spend an entire year focusing on one day of creation. So this year we are on Day 1- Astronomy! All you need is one copy of the textbook for you to read. You can buy supplies for activities as you go along but you will have most everything right at home. Each of the kids has a notebook filled with their own pictures of all the bodies in space that we study plus (for those who write) info that they remember. We have made a compass, telescope, eclipse viewer, and studied magnets and magnifying glasses in this unit. VERY FUN!!!
ReplyDeleteYEAH!! WHAHOO!! Wasn't that look of wonder on her face all worth it? Laurel could not believe what she was hearing. I cried too. Then you're right. Business as usual. We too have a eval w/CASTLE. I think ours is in March. Can't wait to hear what she does with sound. Don't worry about the hearing aid. I was so freaked out at all the "maintenance" but it becomes routine and you find what you can get away with. Use the little clip they give you though. It has been a lifesaver when she wants to "unplug" and it's hanging right their on her back instead of lost somewhere.
ReplyDeleteAWESOME!!!! I am so happy for her! AND she is just looking fabulous! :) Love that smile!
ReplyDeleteMichele,
ReplyDeleteI saw your comment on Kristin Ferguson's blog. I was so excited to see that your little girl was home. I remember talking to you at when God first placed her in your heart. (We originally met at a Chosen by Grace meeting) She's beautiful. I just wanted to say,"Hi" and congratulations!
Blessings,
Glenda
www.marvelousinoureyes.blogspot.com